Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Final Experimentation : The Sheet Metal Skin


From the last time's failure, I learned basic skills of how to shrink down the sheet metal.  I started to stretch out the lump by hammering from the inside of the metal on a sandbag.  Then I used the special hammer with a flat head and hit the edges gently on a iron ball. As I hit it the problem also comes along, because I didn't cut a curve shape instead of having a semi-curve shape at the first place so the flat part of the metal having a sharp angle coming out from itself. Thus, I cut off the excessive part in order to fit the model,which just like the second image shows above.


Because of the hair dryer's characteristic, I have to do a lot of shrinking to fit into the model, especially for the frontal part of the model. I found its extremely hard when I was doing this. The key part was that remember to hit the metal with uniform strength since it requires balance for each side.  
         




I have to say, the second experiment was performed much better than the first one. I have gradually adapted some possible ways to fit into the template. This effort also helped by a lot of people in the design lab. Although the metal skin still has some problems and isn's perfectly fit into the model but I believe I will do better for the next project as my experiences, skills and knowledges improved through many times of practices.  


No comments:

Post a Comment